The Psychological Therapies Service at St John’s approached us last year asking if there was anything we could do to brighten up the waiting area and public corridors of their department. The waiting area and corridors have no natural light and are quite gloomy.
After meeting with staff, we all agreed that it made a lot of sense to have works created by staff and outpatients brighten the walls of the department.We invited artist Vanessa Lawrence to develop a 5 week making workshop, with one workshop in the morning and one in the afternoon, to ensure that as many people as possible involved with the service could get involved.
The department staff team have been brilliant and taken the work on board with gusto! We love it when we are met with this level of enthusiasm, as it usually leads to a pretty successful outcome. All participants have been brilliant. We are really impressed and excited by the level of creativity and skill they have brought to the workshops.
“What a fantastic opportunity for patients and staff. The sessions that I have been involved with have felt very therapeutic and the artwork produced has been incredible. It has been really lovely to interact with patients in a different way and see the joy that taking part in such a course has created for them. I can’t wait to see the pieces framed and up in the waiting area!”
Sinead Murray, Clinical Associate in Applied Psychology
Other news from St John’s:
- A dash of colour - The Psychological Therapies Service at St John’s approached us last year asking if there was anything we could do to brighten up the waiting area and public corridors of their department. After a visit to the department and meeting with the team we invited artist Vanessa Lawrence to deliver a series of watercolour workshops for […]
- Making Changes - Laura Key, the clinical Associate in the Applied Psychology unit at St John’s got in touch with us asking if Artlink could help brighten up the waiting areas in their department. We had a look at the spaces and chatted to Laura and her colleagues to ﬁnd out what they were looking for. Through conversation […]
- Reading Friends - Over the last months we have been working in partnership with The Scottish Book Trust and The Reading Agency to bring Reading Friends to care for the elderly wards. Reading Friends is a UK wide scheme that uses books and reading as a way of fostering friendship and creating meaningful moments that have long term […]
- The Value of Meaningful Activities | Arts Programme Jan – Mar 2019 - We work with professional artists who are flexible and responsive in their approach and sensitive to the situations patients are in. It is this empathy that starts and sustains conversations and opens up possibilities and potentials. We have witnessed how activity can change behaviours and seen how the process of working alongside someone can change distressed and confused behaviour into engaged and concentrated behaviour that would have seemed impossible at the beginning of the workshop.
- Art Group at St John’s Hospital - A great opportunity to work with artist team leader Anne Elliot on Ward 17.
- Working Together – Hospital Activities Programme Sep | Dec 2018 - The new activities programme it out!
- Talking, Listening & learning – Hospital Activities Programme Jul – Sep 2018 - Activities for July to September 2018 – enjoy!
- It’s Something You Said – Hospital Activities Programme Apr | Jun 2018 - The programme is a direct response to your recent feedback on our winter activities programme. In response to the needs of people on long stay elderly care wards, we will be extending our events programme and creating weekly performance events. We are also investigating new work which better supports patients as they move from the hospital to the community, so look out for Anne Elliot's new activities which are all about encouraging greater community involvement.
- Open Show 2018: Call for Submissions - It’s nearly time for the annual staff and patient exhibition! This year it will be taking place in the gallery at the Western General Hospital from 1st March – April 2018. The exhibition so far has been developed by illustrator Laura Cave Macgowan, in collaboration with staff and patients who responded to an earlier call for […]
- Ward Activities at St John’s - The new ward activities programme at St John’s is out – full of music, singing and art.
- Exchanging Knowledge - Activities programme for January through to March 2018.
- 2018 Open Show Call for Ideas - Laura Cave-Magowan is developing a new approach to the Staff and Patient Open show.
- Common Play: Making Things Happen - As a society we no longer create social spaces naturally. Within mental health the increasing reality is isolation and the lack of opportunity for people to find meaningful and engaging ways to belong to their immediate communities. Over the past years Artlink projects at the Glasshouses in the grounds of the Royal Edinburgh hospital, Leylines […]
- Hooptacular! - Hooptacular is not to be missed! Join Hula-hoop artist Ross McLelland for a jaw dropping display!
- Moving Forward Looking Back - The new July to September programme is out! Read it here: