We have been working with the Robert Fergusson National Brain Injury Unit for an extended period of time. This is a specialist clinic for the treatment of patients from across Scotland who have suffered psychiatric or behavioural problems after a head injury. The unit has a multi disciplinary team which includes nursing staff, neuropsychiatrists, speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, art therapy and social work. No two patients’ needs are the same and the team work together to create bespoke care plans around each patient.
Artist Anne Elliot has been working with Lynda Girvan, art therapist and also the OT team, especially Alice Landrock. They have been working on generating ideas for an artwork that celebrates the patients and the work of the unit. It takes time to establish ways of working and at a certain stage we brought in a new artist, Tom Krasny, to take the project onto a new level and develop a series of workshops with patients and staff. Tom worked on four workshops to further test approaches that would have meaning to the patients. Working with a lightweight foam material, Tom constructed pieces that could be deconstructed and reconstructed by the patients – a bit like arty, colourful, oddly shaped, building bricks.
We were amazed at how well some patients took to this process, happy to take the pieces apart and reconstruct them in whatever way appealed to them. For some people reconstructing was about colour combinations; for others it was about putting different shapes together. The activity captured patients’ attention for up to an hour and a half, which is a mark of success on the Robert Fergusson Unit! We knew that we had hit on something that was of meaning to patients on the unit.
Other news from the Royal Edinburgh:
- The Value of Meaningful Activities | Arts Programme Jan – Mar 2019
- Prospect Bank Development Programme
- Working Together – Hospital Activities Programme Sep | Dec 2018
- Talking, Listening & learning – Hospital Activities Programme Jul – Sep 2018
- It’s Something You Said – Hospital Activities Programme Apr | Jun 2018
- Open Show 2018: Call for Submissions
- Burns Mash Up 2018
- Glasshouses Art Group: Wednesday 1 – 3pm
- Exchanging Knowledge
- 2018 Open Show Call for Ideas
- Light Up the Glasshouses with Lanterns
- Light Up the Glasshouses with Song
- Common Play: Making Things Happen
- Moving Forward Looking Back
- The trick is to keep moving (forward)
- We will become like (a) family – Hospital Activities Programme Jan – Mar 2017
- January Activities Programme @ Royal Edinburgh Hospital
- We will become like (a) family
- November Activities Programme @ Royal Edinburgh Hospital
- Green Space | Art Space Talk